Friday, January 10, 2014

how it's going

I've been asked quite a bit lately to give an update on the twins, so here it is!

Short version: Everything is going great and I am gigantic.

Longer version:

We had a growth ultrasound a few weeks ago and the babies look wonderful. No concerns whatsoever. They were both head-up, so I'm hoping that changes in the next month if it hasn't already.  They were measuring in the 55th and 52nd percentiles and had heart rates in the 150's. They're really active babies, which is so much fun. I'm slowly but surely getting an idea of their personalities. My theory is that the baby on my left side will be more of an instigator and the baby on my right will be a little more laid back. We're waiting til they're born to find out genders, just like we did with Harriet. That moment when Andrew told me she was a girl was probably...no, easily...the best moment of my life. I wouldn't trade that for anything...although it's tempting when cute crib bedding is on sale.

I'll be twenty-four weeks tomorrow and I'm really starting to feel it. I've gained just under forty pounds so far, and I'm expecting to gain another twenty or maybe even thirty. The weight gain has really slowed lately due to the fact that I can't remember the last time I was hungry. I'm learning that hunger feels like heartburn, and I'm just trying to eat every few hours whether I feel like it or not.

Probably one of my biggest challenges lately is restless leg syndrome. It has been taking me at least an hour and a half to fall asleep every night, and I'm waking up about three times per night, so I think that the days of restful sleep are over. I was pretty anti-tv for Harriet until this pregnancy. Clifford has been my saving grace on an almost daily basis as it gives me an hour to rest or some extra time to get stuff done if I happened to lie down while Harriet napped. When the twins arrive, I think we are going to give her a stuffed Clifford "from the babies" since he is her absolute favorite.

And now for some belly pics. Brace yourselves, people...

a few weeks ago

a few days ago
a few minutes ago
I think that one of my favorite aspects of this pregnancy is feeling continually in awe of what my body is doing - growing, stretching, adapting. Miracle is a word that is quite overused when referring to birth, babies, and all things pregnancy...but no wonder! It truly is amazing. I am just so curious and excited to see what's going to happen in the next weeks and months. What an honor it is...every part of it...even the accidental peeing when I sneeze, the difficulty standing up from the floor, the snoring, and the fact that my husband gently discouraged me from wearing a swimsuit at the pool today...

every

single

part of it.


30 comments:

  1. You look so adorable. I still look back on pics from right before the girls were born and can't believe how big I got. You are right. It truley is amazing what the body can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEK! Love, love, love this! You look amazing Em! So happy for you and those two amazing little ones inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you look awesome! The belly is certainly big, but I'm pretty sure every ounce you've gained is in your belly! I was wondering just the other day if you knew what they were... I'm so excited you're waiting! So fun! Glad to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL!! You look tooooo cute!!! I love it!!! More pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, so happy for the good news on the twins! You look absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this post!!! First off you are SO freaking cute even with twins, seriously! And oh girl I hear you on the accidental peeing after sneezing, been doing a lot of that myself lately! As you said though every single part is totally worth it! Congrats on reaching 24wks, huge milestone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! Yay! I'm so glad everything is going well. I still can't really believe you're having twins, but if that belly is not proof, I don't know what is. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, the belly!!! I LOVE it. You look so fantastic and just down right adorable!! And your belly is so perfectly round! :) Twins, I am still so so excited for you and so glad everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily we are so excited for you and double blessings! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the belly pictures! I was also amazed what the body does to accommodate two growing babies. I look back in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. belly belly belly rocking everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so obsessed!
    you look FAB! and your hair is darker!
    so happy for you girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look absolutely gorgeous, my dear. If I were you I'd rock that swimsuit with pride - and I hope that you do, husbandly advice to the contrary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I knew Andrew would get some flack for his comments. (-: Truth is that if I had a swimsuit that was big enough to adequately cover my butt and my boobs, I TOTALLY would have rocked it. I kinda love the belly and wouldn't mind a bit if people stared. But with pregnancy, everything expands. I remember when I was pregnant with Harriet, I put on a bikini, thinking if would fit just fine because it didn't cover my stomach...WRONG!!

      Delete
    2. No flack intended, but I understand Andrew much better now that I hear a bit more about the swimsuit situation! ;)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the update!! You look AMAZING! And I love how happy your story has gotten. It is so encouraging to me on my journey. :-). Good things really DO happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look great Em! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I'm so glad you and the babes are doing good. You look great. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you look great!! So glad to hear things are going well for you and the babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am SO glad to hear from you. So so glad. And so excited to hear that things are going so well and you've hit 24 weeks. You look fantastic and it sounds like the babies are doing super well too. Keep updating!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow you look AWESOME! That is some belly, and I agree with the others--all that weight is hanging out right there with those babies. You look great, you look happy, you look healthy. I am amazed at what the body can do. Congratulations! Love the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look great!!! We loved the surprise in the delivery room too... not sure if I could do it with twins, though! Props to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look beautiful and happy. I'm really glad that your pregnancy is going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look awesome! I'm so glad your pregnancy is going well--I'm sure it's fun feeling TWO babies move and dance around. I hope it continues to go well and that your RLS goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  23. In honor of how much you've encouraged me, I've nominated you for a Sunshine Award (http://sweettooth82.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunshine-award.html). Thank you again for being honest and sharing your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this update! You look wonderful with a fantastically large baby belly! I'm so happy to hear that things are going well with your twins. I would have thought I knew the personalities of my two babies also, but turns out that in the outside world they are the exact opposite! It truly is amazing what our body can do to accolades the growing these little ones. A miracle indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...